Ms. Debbie Porter, Grade 2
Welcome to Grade 2L! An exciting school year has begun and it is my pleasure to be your child’s teacher. My name is Debra Porter and I have been teaching a variety of grades for over 20 years. Grade 2 is by far one of my most favourite.
Below you will find a few bits of information to help make this a successful year!
- Agendas-Students will write important messages and spelling lists in agendas. Agendas are a good form of communication between school and home. Please initial the message each day and check the front pocket for forms/notes that may need to be returned. Spelling tests will take place on Mondays.
- Monthly Newsletter and Homework Calendar-The newsletter will highlight important events, achievements and curriculum updates for each subject. The homework calendar (begins in October) can be completed throughout the month and turned in for me to check at the end when all items are completed. Students can record homework in the same notebooks that will be sent home with home reading folders.
- Home Reading-students will be taking home a folder with a book at their independent reading level. We are working on reading fluently and students should take easier books home that they can read by themselves. Please record the date, title of the book that they read each day in the homework notebook. In grade 2 students are encouraged to read for 15 minutes each day. The same notebook can be used to record homework calendar activities.
- Bi-Weekly Progress Reports-Students will be taking completed work home on school day Fridays as well as a progress report from the previous weeks work. Please keep completed work at home unless I have made a note about something that needs to be completed. Parents should initial progress reports and return them on Mondays.
- Timetable-I will be sending home our class timetable in the next week or so. This year we will be following a rotating 4 day schedule. I will have students record the correct days in their agendas so that you will know on which days we have PE, music, computers and library classes.
- We use Seesaw in the classroom-It is a free portfolio tool. The students will be taking photos and making videos to show thier leanring with the Seesaw APP and you will get notifications to see their work on your own personal device. I will send home information in the agenda on how you can sign up.